Sunday, January 26, 2020

Blog Post 1


The article "Electronic Literature: What is it?" by Katherine Hayles covers just about everything you need to know about electronic literature. Hayles does a beautiful job splitting up her article into four, all encompassing parts. Part 1 provides context to help conceptualize e-lit, part 2 uncovers all the past and current genres of e-lit, while part 3 and 4 illuminate the differences between print and e-lit and how they are preserved, respectively. I found part 2 the most interesting as I liked learning about all the different types of e-lit, especially the early stuff like the clunky hypertexts, but part 3 I consider the most useful to understanding e-lit. I liked her point about how links are exclusive to e-lit but are pretty much just footnotes in digital medium. That point rings especially true in the article because her “notes” are all hyperlinks right to the bottom of the page, literally digital footnotes! (except these footnotes have direct links to the references, where print forces the reader to find another piece of physical print) What I found to be the biggest difference between the two is the interactive elements. The animations, reward systems and nonlinear elements are what make e-lit unique. As Nick Monfort suggests, e-lit readers can be seen more as interactors than simply readers.

Hayles provides the link to the ELO website and I couldn’t help but click. She references this in the fourth part of the essay regarding preservation of e-lit. in my head I supposed that an e-lit library would physically be in the space of massive servers, like the servers that host all our cloud backed data. But what those servers would hold is where I got lost. The ELO website is I guess what an e-lit library looks like. It’s pretty awesome. It has a bunch of really cool works that show you exactly what e-lit can be. (because it literally is) I visited the oldest collection from 2006 because I wanted to know what it was like early on. Its pretty funny I ended up downloading a bunch of really small 2 second clips on my computer and I have no idea when they are supposed to play in the actual work they are from. Nonetheless it is an awesome virtual library and it’s cool to see how much these works have changed. Here’s the site: http://collection.eliterature.org

Trevor

3 comments:

  1. Because this was the first collection, there is a lot of older work on here. This is also the collection I studied and wrote about the most, so I'm pretty fond of it. For comparison, here is the third collection, which most of the options for your analysis writing will come from: http://collection.eliterature.org/3/

    There are more embodied works here, even some VR, and, of course, less Flash pieces (back to the preservation comment and Jillian's post), which really shows how the form is changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too thought it was useful and interesting that Hayles incorporated interactive digital footnotes into her article. That is one of the many advantages of e-lit over printed text. I like how you pointed out that readers of electronic literature are not just readers, but interactors. That idea of engaging with a work is appealing to people who may learn better through action. I also like how you called hyperlinks "reward systems." There is so much more accessibility when it comes to navigating e-lit and the access to knowledge is rewarding!

    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another thing that I thought about when I was reading your point on digital notes was that I noticed them and used them but I didn't even realize them as such an advantage for electronic literature. I think those who grow up with digital literature understand a lot about it without noticing how much they actually understand. At least for me, I found your insight a good point that was so obvious but I missed it when I was looking at the article.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)