Monday, January 27, 2020

Books used to be a luxury only a handful of people could afford, but after the invention of the printing press books became readily available to average people. As the technology advanced so did traditional literatureNow a days a new form of technology is being developed, computers. Computers allow authors to do many things that books cannot do like, adding hyperlinks or game elements to text. One major difference between electronic literature and traditional literature is the medium: traditional literature is printed on paper and made into books, while electronic literature is saved in digital space. It seems that books have an advantage being that their physical form give traditional literature longevityWhile electronic literature becomes outdated in a matter of years. However, there are organizations trying to preserve electronic literature. Both electronic literature and traditional literature are forms of literature but are so varied that they must be separated into two different categories.    

Jacob 

3 comments:

  1. More than just being literature in a digital space, it must use the affordances for expression, a need for the medium. Currently, Traversals, through former ELO president Dene Grigar, are recording e-lit pieces, primarily early hypertexts created on Storyspace, filming readings of them on their original platforms and hardware, in an effort to preserve the experience for the future, as floppy disks, CDs, and even USB drives are in danger of corruption. You can find them online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a topic similar to what I've written about. The use of hyperlinks has definitely given a reader a way to explore more into a topic. Sometimes I get so deep into a subject that I'm so far off from the topic I initially had started with but I've gained so much more insight than I could've imagined when I first Googled something. I think the use of hyperlinks too could tell a story that is super interact and keeps the reader engaged. Advances in this type of technology have been beneficial in learning because of research or things like story telling journalism. Here's an example of what I mean by "interactive journalism." This type of writing format makes me want to read on and displays images that make me feel like I'm actually there.
    http://apps.rue89.com/haiti/en/

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)