Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Ch.7

This chapter discusses other e-lit genres consisting of: locative narrative, digital literacy installations, virtual and augmented reality narrative and interactive + combinatory cinema. Each of these genres builds upon one another to build a narrative.
Virtual reality is very interesting to me so I decided to take a deeper look at the work by David Blair called, "Wax or the Discovery of Television among the Bees". This film project involved using hypertextual database logic that produced an interactive cinema experience. Mixed digital animations, live action and found footage was all put together to create this film. It was an interesting psychedelic fable that was shot from an imagined perspective. It had very positive reviews on the New York Times and was the first film to be streamed on the internet. I like how this story takes you along a unique adventure and draws you in right away. This story is described as historic since it was so different from what anyone had ever seen before and managed to be considered a milestone for "Internet Art". It is one of the earliest examples of digital cinema which was released in 1991. Taking a look at this showed me how all of this started and gave some background on the earliest forms of digital cinema.


Sofia Borea

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really cool film, and I think you do a really nice job of showcasing how, like most hypertexts, it fits into many different genres of media. I'm honestly surprised that more VR and interactive films like this one haven't been released since 1991. I've been to a few "4D" movies where the audience can feel breezes, ocean spray/rain, and feel their seat moved or shook when something happens on screen to cause such movement, but I would love to be exposed to a type of film that made me feel like I was actually in the movie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound really cool. I am all for immersive narratives, my experience with VR has mostly been in a gallery space, though, and that makes me nervous to be unaware of my physical surroundings while other gallery-goers are potentially watching me in a VR experience. Very odd. I don't know that 4D movies would be my thing... but that also sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)