Monday, March 30, 2020

chapter 7

Chapter 7 focuses on interactive spaces; this includes things like virtual reality and interactive art installations. Out of all the different types of digital literature this type challenges what literature is the most. One reason I think that interactive spaces are not literature is because it can exist without words. Most other types of digital literature we have looked at over the semester rely on words to convey their messages. They might use different types of media to enhance the experience; music, images, and hyperlinks are used in synergy to create a story. Without writing, hyperlink stories would not be able to exist. However, interactive spaces do not rely on words to convey a message. Some do use words to create an interactive experience, but it is not necessary to create an interactive space. One thing that I have realized over the course of this class is that does it matter if something is literature? One reason I enjoy reading is because it gives me a new perspective on the world in a way that is enjoyable for me. Literature is not the only form of media that can give people a new perspective: media like movies and are also important. If the media helps people learn while enjoying it, that is what matters. The word literature can be used for books, but just because something is not literature does not mean it is not worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with literature not being the only learning tool, I myself am not an avid reader but i have enjoyed learning more about these e-lit variations that are more like short stories but still enjoyable to read and interact with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about interactive art not using words. I think this could also help the viewer build on emotion and allow them to feel something of their own thoughts, without guiding them along the way. I guess the difference between hypertext and hyper links is pretty clear in their names. Text = story, links = images. I don't think they need to be combined to allow for interactive spaces either. However, I could see how it could be a personal preferences. Sometimes words allow for better emotion to come through and gives the authors message in a better light.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)