Monday, March 30, 2020

Chapter 7


In the final chapter of electronic literature, Rettberg briefly covers the previously uncovered kinds of e-lit. He makes it known that these are most certainly not the least interesting, but maybe just the newest and least covered types of e-lit. The final four types of e-lit he focuses on are locative narratives, expanded cinema, virtual reality and augmented reality. Locative narratives are m favorite because it involves real movement throughout the world, as well as technology to experience the story. A story experienced through scannable QR codes at real locations to describe a scene sounds amazing. It also reminds me of certain black mirror concepts. If these concepts were used in a more lighthearted and humane way, would be incredibly innovative. Virtual reality and augmented reality are things I’ve experienced a decent amount already, so I get less excite about it. I kind of expect it now. All in all, this boo just hyped me up for a potential cool future with lots of new media, but also scares me because we could lose a lot of our roots.
I investigated Pry by Danny Cannizzaro and Samantha Gorman. It is an app that creates expanded cinema, aka, kinetic e-books. These seem like e-books with pages you can rip and scenes you can watch on a different page. Could be cool.

Trevor

2 comments:

  1. The QR Code story was interesting to me because of how the story described the sounds. I feel QR Codes are being used more now with companies incorporating them inside products and games.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever noticed the quotes and things posted around HamSmith have QR codes? :) I also know someone who quilts QR codes, kind of a cool tangible nod to "old media" that takes you to a cyberfeminist website.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)