Monday, March 23, 2020

Networking Chapter 6

In Chapter 6 of Electronic Literature, Rettberg describes Network Writing as being "created for and published online" (152). At first it seemed like this broad definition was just defining Electronic Literature in general, and it wasn't quite clear how it differs from other forms. As I read, it began to be clear that Network Writing uses the internet for the connective purpose rather than like a display. The reader can access multiple points online and all of the internet can contribute in some way. This can mean social media writings, which I remember thinking wasn't exactly literature, but digital, could become Electronic Literature.

I decided to look into flarf poetry and found the story on Poetry.org. According to Gary Sullivan, one of the original flarf poets, flarf began with a poetry scam contest in which Sullivan's grandfather died thinking he had won. From there, Sullivan and a few others posted nonsense poems and even used Google search results to create them. The poems were ridiculous, and had intentions to be offensive. From there, the poems gained a seriousness in use and the term "flarf" was created. It wasn't until 9/11 that the poetry seemed to calm. Afterwards, the intentionally offensive and absurd form of poetry became a difficult medium of expression. In some way, all the poems referenced the aftermath of 9/11, but hardly to make fun or offend. The dynamic of the poems shifted slightly at this time. Sullivan himself claims to have been less active on flarfting ever since. I thought this was an interesting story and I read it hoping that he would avenge his grandfather, to which I think his success might have. I also think the poems are sort of fun to read but I became tired of reading nonsense after a few of them!

-J!ll!an

2 comments:

  1. I also found it difficult to differentiate network writing from any other form of digital literature at first. It seems really complicated and controversial when it comes to whether or not social media can be considered literature. I think, depending on the context, it could be literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your note that "Network Writing uses the internet for the connective purpose rather than like a display." As I was reading, I also thought that the definition of network writing seemed to incoroporate all of electronic literature, but your distinction makes it clear that it does differ from other works that we've looked at.

    I also looked at Flarf but I didn't know the backstory behind it before looking at poems. The history of Flarf and Sullivan gives the project a more serious tone than I had originally considered. It's interesting how things that seem nonsensical and random can have a deeper meaning to them.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)