Sunday, March 22, 2020

Chapter 6


Chapter 6 talks about something called network writing. In the beginning of the chapter I was very confused. Everything was broad and the initial definition given was just “literature created for and published on the internet”. Not until Rettberg gave examples of network writing did I get the concept an example of what it might look like. The first examples were of things like Flarf. Flarf poetry was poems made out of the language used in web searches. The concept was for a poem to be made about the medium being used to compose that very poem. This theme begins to lose me as more examples are introduced. I believe the actual purpose of network writing is to make literature out of programs used to communicate. Things like email stories and twitter stories are network writing. These stories are can get overlooked because there is little editing. After writing this I could go write my own network writing. If I were to write a continuing narrative on this very blog it could be network writing.
The only example I can think of is a specific tweet format I’ve seen where the “tweeter” uses a dialogue situation. An example could be
Me: “my stomach hurts”
My mom: “cuz you always on that damn phone.”
This is a small example of what I mean but there are much funnier and more relatable examples all over twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I was confused at first but then describing it as web searches and utlizing different programs to create works was definetly helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its interesting how vast this topic ranges, whether it being a traditional literary text found online, or a conversation between "tweeters"'

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)