Monday, February 3, 2020



Dadaist made art that subverted traditional art to explore different methods of creating art. Surrealism was created from this movement to explore the subconscious of the human mind. Surrealism uses seemingly random methods to produce poems and art; however, humans are not random, so rather than random art it is subconscious art. With the new medium of digital art emerging it is important to understand what artists are exploring and trying to express with this new type of art. Digital art is interesting to me because a person makes a program that sets certain parameters, but besides that has no control over their art. The artist makes the program and then the program produces the art. An example being Christopher Strachey’s Love Letters, he made a program that would make love letters. Although the letters are strange and if they were written by a human would be forgotten, but because a computer program wrote love letters there is some novelty to them. Although they are bad love letters, they are undoubtedly love letters; the vocabulary used matches what someone would expect in a love letter. The love letters are not remembered for their content, but because a computer imitated something that only humans could do. It seems that digital artists are trying to create human art with computer programs. I think the idea of digital artists are trying to convey is that art is not something that only humans are capable of. That it is possible to replicate art without being a person; that art can be reduced to line of code in a computer. Here is a poem I made using a website I found called poem-generator.org:




My heavy ape, you inspire me to write.

How I hate the way you grab, jump and throw,

Invading my mind day and through the night,

Always dreaming about the buffalo.




Let me compare you to an easy larch?

You are more breezy, cheesy and evil.

Big butts dull the queasy flowers of March,

And the springtime has the white rice weevil.




How do I hate you? Let me count the ways.

I hate your uneasy hair, smile and hands.

Thinking of your sleazy smile fills my days.

My hate for you is the medieval ands.




Now I must away with a sneezy heart,

Remember my dumb words whilst we're apart.

1 comment:

  1. great poem! This is the same generator we'll be using for love poems next week!

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)