Sunday, February 9, 2020

Hypertext Fiction

Chapter three of Electronic Literature discusses Hypertext Fiction. Scott Rettberg explains how hypertext, although not the oldest form of electronic literature, may be the most important. Rettberg explains that this is because hypertext created a “small critical industry” that led to the establishment of electronic literature as the “field of academic research and practice” that it is today. There may not be as many recent works of hypertext as there are of other forms of electronic literature, but there are arguably more important works that helped lay the foundation for the subject. I learned that the H in HTML stands for "hypertext", which although should be common knowledge was unknown to me. To me, this represents the influence that hypertext still holds in our lives today, even if we are unaware of its influence. Rettberg explains the mechanics of hypertext by writing that it is “an approach to organizing, structuring, and sharing information”. To me, this definition seems inaccurate, because every piece of hypertext I have read has seemed very disorganized and the message not quite structured at all. However, I do believe it is an effective way of sharing information, pieces I assumed would be boring were actually quite creative and engaging. 

I would most certainly not consider Serge Bouchardon’s piece, Loss of Grasp, organized. His piece of electronic literature is an interactive webface which allows the user “to experience through gestures events which the narrator has already experienced”. The webpage is a combination of text, which is altered and layered through the user clicking of hovering their cursor on the words. At times, the story continues without requiring any user instruction, but other times the story would require engagement from the reader. The page also allows the user to activate their webcam, which I personally chose not to do. However, Rettberg’s description of Loss of Grasp in Electronic Literature states that this is done “to visually mirror a sense of deep ennui”, which I’m sure is true, the front facing camera is never flattering. Overall, I found Bouchardon’s work confusing, but it was also the first piece of hypertext that I felt interested with and marveled at. 


Sabrina Brown

2 comments:

  1. I also did not know that the H in HTML stood for hypertext! I agree with you that it's interesting how hypertext is the most influential genre yet there are not many modern examples of it. It's funny how it sounds very modern but most of the examples are from the 90's and early 2000's and look outdated. Loss of Grasp was so strange, especially with the voice talking in the background. It was hard for me to understand what was going on but that might be the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Bouchardon's work is confusing and that it is everything but organized.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)