Monday, February 24, 2020

EL chap 4 + Zork

When I read the first sentence of this chapter, I had a flashback to computer games I used to play. It tells how computer games and electronic literature she a "rich common history" and how computer games are the dominant form of contemporary entertainment. Before I even read this chapter I thought about computer games I used to play when I was a kid. They used to be either downloaded on a disk or played on a website. Now, I may not be as much into computer games but I definitely don't hear about them as much anymore. I do hear more about video games though, especially because that is a technology that is evolving in advances such as technical digitizing and art. I had never thought of computer games being an electronic/interactive fiction. However, it's true that a lot of games are considered to be adventure games, telling a story and learning more of the narrative as the game went on.

Reading about Zork, this sounds like the type of video game I was used to hearing about as a kid. To think that it is still around, and available on new technologies goes to show that software developing has been a big part of videogames and technology. Its compelling storyline seems to what had intrigued its users. Also, many of the tactics used in Zork sounded like it could make a better use for educational purposes, such as including adjectives, conjunctions, prepostions, and compound verbs. The chatbot and its rare clues had continued to inspire technologist and that is what makes it such a great example for the evolution of computer games.

Cassie H

2 comments:

  1. I think Zork is a great example of early video games and agree that it had an influence on technologies and video games of today. For educational purposes Zork definitely influence storytelling through games and creating something the player can interact with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really interesting how you mention that Zork could be educational by teaching players about word choice and grammar. That sould fit really well with your mention of computer games. I also used to play computer disk games as a kid and most of them were educational. Big Fish Games was a favorite gaming company of mine back in elementary school, and a lot of the elements in those games reminded me of elements in Zork as well. I would say there is something different between text adventure games and computer games and console games, though all of them have similar storytelling elements.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)