Sunday, February 23, 2020

Chapter 4/ Zork

This chapter was all about interactive fiction and games. A lot of this reminded me of Choose Your Own Adventure and similar to certain hypertexts that readers had. the choice of what to do next. I think this is a very entertaining form of electronic literature as it is fun for readers. to choose what's next versus simply following a preplanned course. However, I didn't love Zork because while I had fun trying to figure it out, nothing I said let me do. anything. I would make several moves before I had actually made the right one and could progress. When I played Zork it simply reminded me of when we conversed with the computer and received short answers back. I felt like I was talking to my computer but not making a lot of progress in the actual game because it was hard.

I looked into Trinity, as in the book it was mentioned to be similar to Alice in Wonderland in that the main character, to avoid a missile crisis, finds a door to a strange underworld filled with the impossible, alike to Alice. However, when I went to download it, the available game that popped up on my browser was similar to Zork in that it was a conversation and you had to say the correct thing to progress. I tried to play for a little but gave up when no commands I gave led me anywhere.

Kendall Arkay

2 comments:

  1. You've mentioned this Chose Your Own Adventure game a few times in class and when reading about computer games, this is what I thought of. It hadn't really occured to me how many computer games tell a story and getting through different levels helps build on the narrative. Having that interactive setting or "beating" levels too makes the reader want to know more and keep advancing through the computer game. While I didn't play Zork, I know what you mean about feeling like you're talking to yourself. That is sometimes how I felt in some hypertext we have viewed in class. While it was interesting to analyze after the fact, it didn't always feel like we were progressing in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree on the frustration with Zork. I tried to play it but it was really difficult to navigate so I was basically just typing in random words hoping it would do something but after 5 minutes I moved on to Varicella, which was a little easier and more entertaining than Zork. Trinity sounds really interesting so I will definitely look into that! You mentioned in this blog post and also in class about your experiences with Choose Your Own Adventures, I don't really remember doing those as a kid but they sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)