Sunday, February 16, 2020

My Thoughts on Patchwork Girl and Entre Ville

Patchwork Girl is a story with sections of the text disassembled and hidden throughout the website. This way of writing makes it so that each reader has a somewhat unique experience with the same story.  Each section was pretty eerie and creepy, so if you're into that kind of stuff then this was probably very intriguing for you. I personally felt that the fragmented pieces of plot made it harder to follow the storyline but overall it enhanced the piece because of the adventure the audience has to go on in order to figure out whats going on. I also felt like the words carried a deeper meaning when read this way as opposed to reading it as a whole chapter would have. Honestly I didn't realize it was about Frankenstein until I heard someone in the class mention it and then I understood the bigger picture a lot more. It was a cool way to interpret the writing but the visual aspects (and lack of color) were not that appealing to me.

I really enjoyed Entre Ville by J.R. Carpenter a lot more than I did the Patchwork Girl. Maybe that's because it was more of a modern tale or because the illustrations and media were more entertaining. I like the way it was set up and how the different windows and doors led to a new video because it made the story seem more textured and interesting. I think it was very easy to feel connected to this story. I like how Carpenter incorporated video and sound to this work. Those portions made the journey through this story seem more interesting and held my attention. It also felt like a deeply personal experience, kind of like looking into someone's journal and thoughts.

Maddie Ireland

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to see that someone preferred the disconnected story telling. When I was reading Patchwork Girl it felt like someone tore out all the pages of a book and shuffled them around. I think hypertext is interesting, but hard to read.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)