Saturday, February 8, 2020

Chapter 3: Hypertext Fiction

Hypertext fiction is very interesting because it gives the author a lot of freedom when constructing a story. I feel like hypertext is at the center of digital literature because it allows the reader to interact with the work, keeping them engaged with the story. It allows the writer to create multiple storylines and there is no true ending, which is what sets this genre apart from traditional print. The story can be interpreted in different ways and if there are enough options, the reader may not even read every single ending. Since the story is not linear, the reader does not get the same closure that they would get with a book. The digital media is essential for this genre because it makes it much easier to quickly be taken to a different story. A lot of paper would be required for these stories to be printed. Hypertext also allows the reader to click on different links that could be on a diagram, map, or picture.

I decided to look up Victory Garden by Stuart Moulthrop. It is a hypertext story that takes place during the Gulf War and you can explore the story through different characters. The story is centered around a girl named Emily and something I found really interesting is that there are multiple ends to the story. In one ending, Emily dies, but in another ending she makes it home alive. I do think it is interesting that you have some control over how the story ends, but it also bothers me so much not knowing what ending the author prefers. You have to buy the full version so I found a sample online. I think the formatting might be different because when I searched pictures of it I found a map of a garden. It looks much simpler and outdated in the sample version. You also don't get access to as many stories.

http://www.eastgate.com/VG/VGStart.html

Meg Champagne

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)