Sunday, February 16, 2020

Entre Ville by JR Carpenter and Red Riding Hood by Donna Leishman

One of the first things I noticed about Red Riding Hood was that there was barely any writing in it and that no words were spoken, which makes me wonder how big of a range of media digital literature is. It felt like a video game, and I replayed it many times to see if I could try to change the ending, and I couldn't. The format makes the viewer feel like they are in control, but they are not. The hip-hop style music and the artistic style of the drawings completely changed the tone of the classic little red riding hood story. I also noticed small details that made it much more modern, like the buildings and the characters' clothes. I was very confused by the ending, when Red ends up in the bed and the wolf sneaks up on her with a gun. When you scroll your mouse over her stomach it shows a baby, which I think is trying to show that she is pregnant. I thought it would give you a chance to save her, but the ending felt very abrupt.

I felt that Entre Ville was much more poetic and artsy in comparison to Red Riding Hood. I liked how the home page is the poem and then all of the different pop ups give the reader a visual and audio representation of the different stanzas. This piece is a perfect example of how digital literature can elevate a piece of writing and give it more depth. Not only do you read how hot and unbearable the city is, but you also see the bed sheets, and you can hear various noises coming from the street. The visuals help make the reader relate more and they are transported into the story that the poem tells. Entre Ville is like a snapshot of a period of time experienced by the author in their city.

Meg Champagne

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)