Tuesday, April 7, 2020

VR and Queerskins

Virtual reality has always interested me. My experience with it is pretty limited. I went to my buddies house once and we stole his older brother's ps4 and played Skyrim VR all night. It was fun and even though I've played that game consistently for pretty much my entire life, it felt new. That experience made me hopeful for a new generation of immersive video games. The Ted talk by Chris Milk was cool. I liked the thinking behind the emotional response generated from VR. It made me see how much bigger VR could be as a tool for human growth. I see the power behind his project and how moving they are. I'm delighted that it is helping and will continue to help people realize how much help people need. The only part I didn't agree with is how it makes us more human. I understand how it generates empathy, which is perhaps one of most human feelings. I just think the most human experience would be to travel yourself, smell and breath the same air, do more then send money and create legislation (which are completely necessary btw, but to say it makes you feel the most human, idk.) Regardless of my thoughts, Chris is doing wonderful work.

I also couldn't access Queerskins but I saw clips. The art and effects seemed pretty cool. It felt green screeny at times but I kind of liked it. It's another example of VR telling a story from an intimate perspective. It proves that VR can be a positive tool for showing people some less considered realities.

I wish I had a VR headset now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)