Tuesday, April 7, 2020

vr/queerskins

Prior to watching the Ted Talk, VR was definitely not a familiar concept to me. I had tried the google VR headsets both when my brother got one for Christmas a while back and then in class on the first day. However, I didn't find the excitement and often found myself dizzy. I never got into the games or action sequences behind these VR programs. However, after watching Chris Milk's talks, I realized the power of VR when used a certain way, allows humans to pout themselves in a position they normally wouldn't be exposed to. A quote I really liked was that they allow "us to feel empathy for people that are very different than us..."Then, for example, the project utilizing Google Earth technique and stopping in front of peoples houses, "people were having a deeper emotional reaction" This form of electronic literature tells a story involving all sorts of people and doesn't just include these headsets but projects such as Milk's, The Treachery Of Sanctuary. This installation I've actually heard of before but used virtual reality that puts viewers inside the frame themselves., It's amazing.
Kendall Arkay

3 comments:

  1. I liked that quote too. The google earth thing was so cool. It made me want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting with Vr how the viewer can put themselves into a different perspective. I found the Milk Ted Talk to also be beneficial to further my understaning about the intent of VR regarding empathy and interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emotional reaction is so true for this. It makes the response more engaging and the google earth project really allowed me to see that.

    ReplyDelete

YAY!

HAPPY GRADUATION to the VERY first class of TBD majors!!! (I wish we could celebrate in person!)